|Obsolyte - where the antique is elYte!||-||A Personal Retrospective of "Cool" Computing|
|Last update: January 5th 2005||-||Logo Design by Rich Sanders|
|If you find this site useful, feel free to contact me: email@example.com (Brian Cirulnick)|
Obsolete + "elYte!" = obsolYte!
This is my site dedicated to vintage computer hardware, classic systems, and especially workstations or 'mainframes' we lusted after when 'personal computers' were mere 8-bit clunkers.
Obsolyte.com is hosted on a Sparc IPX, running RedHat Linux 6.0 for Sparc (UltraLinux) and the Apache Web Server. This particular machine has 64 Megs of Ram and a 500 Meg HD. BogoMips = 79, which makes it just a bit faster than a 486/66 PC. Truly obsolete and yet, very cool!
This Sparc IPX also has a few modifications that I added, such as extra LED "status lights", and extra internal fans. The IPX is a very 'hackable' machine, with all kinds of modifications possible.
The little IPX webserver is connected to the internet via "co-lo" hosting at Surf Xpress LLC. Need web hosting or co-location? Give 'em a buzz and tell 'em I sent ya!
Tidbits & Other News
- NOTE: All older "tidbits" have been moved to the NEWS PAGE.
- SWITCH TO FIREFOX -- September 17th 2004 -- Dump Internet Explorer. The new browser war has started! Firefox is so much better than IE, it should not even be a competition. The tabbed browsing option alone makes it worth the download. It's also way more secure, and features a pop-up ad blocker. And best of all, it's FREE!
- OBSOLETE -- September 16th 2004 -- The "obsolete" website is 99% SGI Info and it's all good stuff. From the Octane to the really antique Personal Iris, it's got good detailed information regarding the hardware, and lots of good pictures. Defintely worth exploring!
- Sun 3 Zoo -- September 16th 2004 -- Peter's Sun 3 Zoo is a great archive of relevant material relating to the old "Sun 3" series (Motorola 68020 and 68030 CPU'ed Sun Systems), and it's available in English or German. Most of it relates to keeping a bunch of these old machines going (the zoo). Defintely worth checking out, the number of Sun 3 sites that still exist these days is growing smaller all the time.
- BBS Update -- September 16th 2004 -- Again, a call for people who want to hang out on the BBS - you'll probably want to have a Windows or Macintosh machine (preferably of late-90's vintage), so you can run the CLIENT SOFTWARE. Once you download and install, use the TCP/IP settings to connect to techrat.is-a-geek.com --- and try and create an account. Send me a message in Street Talk or whatever...
Vintage UNIX Workstations and Servers
SGI Personal Iris 4D/20
SGI Iris Indigo R4000
SGI Indigo2 R4400
SGI FAQs and Information in general
Reputable Systems - Sells used SGI workstations
NeXT Monochrome Slab
NeXT Turbo Color Slab
DEC MicroVax 2000
DEC UDB/Multia (Alpha based system)
DEC Links and Info
FTP.OBSOLYTE.COM - Please Visit!
ObsolYte BBS - techrat.is-a-geek.com